[alfa] Hot wheels and a scorching rear end

For some time now I have noticed that after a drive the rear wheels on
the ol' Spider were warm; I'd say around 140F on hot summer days, less
in cooler ambient air.  Obviously, something is amiss.  I rebuilt the
brakes, I changed the rear rubber brake line, I checked the parking
brake, I checked the rear brake compensator valve.  Hmmm, still getting
hot.

I had focused all my effort on the brakes, but am now convinced it's not
the brakes.  Sometimes, you just have to stop and think. I drove it
yesterday for 15 minutes or so, and then got under the car and felt the
entire rear suspension looking for heat.  I found it.  The differential
was unbearably hot to the touch.  I keep it full of gear oil.  Bearings?
Would bad bearings heat the aluminum diff housing more than the steel
axle?

Any ideas?

Andy Menapace
Brandon, MS