RE: [alfa] Brake Bleeding Procedure

Jay,  I've done the same procedure as you mention for bleeding brakes
with no problems.  And for priming the master cylinder, I found success
circulating brake fluid from the driver-side front caliper bleed screw
back to the reservoir with the MC in place.  Just keep on pumping and
topping up the reservoir as the MC is filled. Maybe I was just lucky...

FWIW,
Andy Menapace
79 Spider
Brandon, MS

Subject: [alfa] Brake Bleeding Procedure

I have read the various posters' procedures for bleeding brakes. Using
"speedbleeders" makes sense, but I must admit this is something I have
never done.  I also read about using a spouse or piece of wood (don't
tell your spouse they're interchangable!) to hold the pedal to the floor
while the bleed screw is closed.

Well, I don't do any of those things - I just attach a simple piece of
flexible hose to the bleedscrew, put the other end into a can of brake
fluid so that it is immersed, and pump the pedal a few times. Then I
tighten the bleedscrew.  I always seem to have a firm pedal at the end
of this process.

But, I do respect the expertise of the Digesti.  So, my question
is: "why do I need a one-way valve, or to shut off the bleed screw
before allowing the pedal to rise?"  Or phrased another
way: "What harm/danger  is involved in my more simplistic procedure?"

Incidently, I have found that when changing master cylinders, it is
essential to "bench bleed" them.  This seems to prime the cylinder with
fluid - otherwise, it won't pump when installed.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, Ca.
et