[alfa] RE:Spider Trunk Lid Spring

Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:41:14 EDT
From: Dave Martin <dwmartin@domain.elided>

The subject is the trunk lid spring for an 87 Spider that gizmo hidden
under
the rear deck that is attached to the hinges and holds up the trunk lid.
Mine has sprung out of place a couple times now, and Im no longer sure
how it
is supposed to be attached.  I dont know that any parts are broken, but
the
bracket on the passenger side hinge has rotated 90 degrees out from where
it
should be, and the spring has jumped out of its support under the deck.
I get
strange stressful creaking noises trying to open or close the trunk (so I
do it
as little as possible!), and of course it does not stay up.
I have the IAP Workshop Manual and have looked in vain for information
about the
spring.  Unit 56 "Hoods" talks about removal, replacement and adjustment
of the
trunk lid, replacement of the opening control cable (and what to do if it
breaks), but fails to mention the spring at all.
Can anyone tell me where to get a schematic for the trunk lid spring?

Dave Martin
Endwell NY

Dave.

I sounds as though you need to replace the two torsion bar (spring)
mounting clips that attach to the underside of the rear deck.  These are
a simple steel stamping that bear against the bars and hold them in
place.  Over time, friction wears them to the breaking point.  I have a
new pair somewhere in my 'files'.  If you need them, you're welcome to
contact me off digest.

Graham L. Davis