[alfa] Re: Gas issues

I would suspect that the negative effect of nippy weather on tires would be more significant, but that wasn't the question, and I don't think southern CA is ever genuinely nippy.

If you sit down and count the molecules (or, if you prefer, the oxygen atoms) in a cubic centimeter of air on a cold day, you will find that there are more of them than there are in a cubic centimeter of air on a warm day. So when the engine sucks in a given volume of air, it's actually getting more oxygen on a cold day, and hopefully its fuel system figures this out and delivers proportionally more fuel. More fuel/air mixture = more power. Theoretically, the difference between ingesting 90F air and 20F air would be equivalent to boring out a 2.0L engine to 2.3L.

Joe