[alfa] Re: Hard starting spider

>From: "Chris Sasso" <Chris.Sasso@domain.elided>

>My '87 Spider cranks for a long time after sitting before starting.  I
>have tested the Bosch components and everything checks out as okay.
>When it is cranking the fuel pump switches on and the car will
>eventually start.  I am thinking it is a fuel problem.  Is there a check
>valve that keeps pressure at the fuel rail?  My hypothesis is that as
>the car sits, the fuel pressure is not maintained and that the pump
>needs to build the pressure up before the car will start.  Does anyone
>have any input on this and the cause of my problems.

>Thanks,
>Chris
>Miami, FL

Re check the thermal time sensor; do it in a pan of water on the stove
using your ohm meter and a thermometer.  Stand the sensor vertically in
the base of a half-inch drive socket sufficiently long enough so the
sensor does not touch the bottom of the pan.  I don't have the ohms
resistance / temperature data with me at this moment but since you say
that you tested the Bosch components previously, I assume that you do.
If you don't, I can supply it later today or you can get it from IAP's
tech assistance hotline 1.800.788.2095.  As for fuel system pressure,
it's there in a heart-beat when the pump begins to run.

Graham L. Davis St. Louis, MO