[alfa] Re: Poly Bushing NVH

Andy Kress and others replied to my comment about additional NVH coming with the use of a Poly bushing replacement for the 164 torsion arm big end. Most said they either liked it that way or were willing to tolerate it in exchange for greater bushing life. To each his own.

Off line, Andy proposed that the reason for the increased noise is the more direct connection between the torsion arm and the firewall. I agree. The poly bushing has a much larger contact area between the torsion arm to the firewall bracket. While the OEM bushing "floats" around the center bush and the metal center bush is the only direct contact between arm and bracket, the Poly bush has its entire diameter, top and bottom, in contact with the bracket and the Poly is firm enough to transmit a lot of vibration.
This experience gives me a renewed appreciation for engineers who work out things like noise isolation. Too bad the OE bushing can't be more durable. I may still try Andy's softer bushing as an option.

P.S. I did not buy the Poly bushing I presently have installed from Andy.

Thanks,
Bob A.