[alfa] 1975 Alfetta GT VIN numbers

Biba writes: " I mentioned awhile back about using a photocopy a friend had sent of a page from N.A.D.A. (?) which states the beginning serial number for 1976 Alfetta GT's is AR11629000200. Since my VIN number is AR116150001071 and the Covina DMV did not have anything in any of their books or online to dispute it, they issued me a new title listing it as a 1975 (whew!) rather than 1976 as it had been originally listed.   After all that, anyone have an older one - Alfetta GT that is?"

Biba seems to be making the reasonable, but dubious, assumption that a VIN number beginning 11615 necessarily indicates an earlier production than a VIN number beginning 11629. NADA notwithstanding, the 11629 cars (according to ARI) included 1975, 1976 and 1977 model-year 49-state cars, while the 11615 cars included 1976 and 1977 California cars and 1978 and 1979 50-state cars. Biba's car is the seventy first 1976 California Alfetta GT, but the 11629 cars went into production as 1975s six months before the first California GT was built as a 1976. It is unlikely to matter, but some later owner may reasonably take his "1975" car as proof that Alfa's production records are unreliable. That is how history is written, sometimes.

Enjoy yours,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.