[alfa] Beta testing Plex control module heat sink

On occasion have to take time out for this old cobbler to make shoes for
the young'uns, or at least resole the old ones.

Perhaps you've noticed I've sent in a few posts regarding '75 Alfetta GT
cutting out with the MarelliPlex being presumed the guilty party until /
unless / if  proven innocent.

IF the "new and improved MarelliPlex" pans out, I have Frank Smith for
giving me the idea. Apparently he'd had the same problems of cutting out
and made a separate heat sink for the control module out of a couple of
pieces from an old Spider lower oil pan.

He admits doing it to save time switching out control modules (if like
me - at the side of the road). He did it several years ago and hasn't
had a failure since.

Hey, I'm game. For my version:
http://www.alfacybersite.com/BRPlexHeatSink.html

Before clicking, a few additional comments: After dropping off a
client's head (no, a good guy and it was a size 1750) at the machine
shop in Pasadena yesterday, car cut out on the way back. I'd picked up
"my" heat sink at an electronic supply place in Pas. and went to work
after finally getting back (thus the kid's new soles which unfortunately
aren't billable).

After doing all this wonderful work, started up the car and it wouldn't
start (see second to last shot). Aha! The old forgot to plug in the
center coil wire which Biba has fallen for on more than one occasion.
Plugged it in. Nada. Checked it all and decided to call it a night since
it was 9:00 p.m. and hadn't eaten. Switched out the GM module this a.m.
with Marelli one and started right up. Did I fry a control module by
trying to start the car without the coil wire on? Are they that sensitive?

Later I ordered some parts from Alfa Parts and asked if they had a
control module. Ruth said they did for $55. I asked if it was a GM or
Marelli. (I believe) she said it was made by TEM. I asked where it was
made. She sighed and came back later and said in the U.S. Anyone out
there have one on their car? Still working?

Back to web page - final shot. Please don't email me and tell me the
Plex must have gotten really hot since it faded the red in my engine bay
to yellow. It's Olympus camera flash yellow, not burnt paint yellow.

So far I've driven it six entire miles with no cutting out problems
though need to go pick up the head in distant (15 miles) Pasadena
tomorrow. Pretty scary.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA