[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #343

Digesti,

Regarding the power loss issue between chains and belts. Jack Beck, Orion
Engineering, sells single chain conversions for racing use with Alfa 4
cylinder engines. Further, a friend at Ford involved in racing and engine
design claims that one of the reasons for belts is the lower power
requirement. That said, I agree with everything said about the Alfa V6; the
belt & pulley design is deficient especially in the 12 valve versions. I
wish it wasn't so, but I will never have another...

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY
1976 Spider, with a chain
1991 Spider Veloce, with a chain
2000 VW Jetta, with a belt but it's a non-interference engine