[alfa] no heat in alfa milano

hi all,

well, i only got two replies to my no-heat milano
query earlier.  this is a car that has heat if i prime
the heater core by squeezing the return hose to it.
then, i have heat for as long as i want - as long as i
do not drive the car.  it will idle - even at 2k rpms,
if i keep something on the pedal - and heat will work
fine.  as soon as i start to drive, tho, the heat goes
away.

the two replies both suggested faulty t-stat.  is it
possible this could be the case, even tho my engine
temp gage reads normally, when i'm driving?

thanks,

doug s.