[alfa] my 88 verde likes starting fluid:(

Greetings,

My newly-acquired 88 Verde stops runnning a few days ago.
The starter is O.K. but the engine just won't catch.  The
battery is O.K. and is being charged when the car is running.
The engine will start if I spray some starting fluid in the
air cleaner box, after which the car runs just fine until
I stop the engine.  Even right after I turn off the engine,
I have to spray starting fluid to get the engine start again.
Does this mean the fuel pressure regulator is bad?  Could
someone shed some light on this problem?  Thanks a lot.

This 88 Verde is black, which reminds me of my first Alfa
(a black 33 1.7 IE) a lot from certain angles.  That 33
was tons of fun to drive... until it broke down, which
happened more frequently than I'd wished.  When it broke
down, the culprit was always some parts made in Germany.

Best wishes,

-cph, glad to have an 86 spider and 87 milano as backup:)

ps.  the car is in los angeles, ca, usa.  so cold start
     injector is not a problem here during this time of
     a year.