[alfa] Goggo/Glas (NAC)

Richard Bies wrote:

 >I had no idea that the Goggomobil used a timing belt. I'll be

> darned.  If you don't count microcars, I believe the timing belt made
> its debut in Glas's 1300GT of 1963.
>
> - -Joe

"Is there a chance we are all talking about the same thing -- I do remember
driving through the town of the Glas factory (do not remember which one,
though -- along the Romantischer Strasse..), but were Glas and the
Goggomobile made by the same people?"

Yes. Hans Glas GMBH of Dingolfing, an "old-established agricultural
machinery firm," according to a book I have, brought out the first
Goggomobil in 1955. It had a 2-cylinder, 2-stroke engine of 247 cc and a
blazing 13.6 hp, mounted transversely at the rear, with a typical
motorcycle gearbox whose sequential shift pattern went sideways. Never
drove one myself, but there was a guy who had one at Elmendorf AFB
(Alaska), with whom I caught an occasional ride into town. Small and
noisy, as you'd imagine.

The 4-cylinder engine with the belt-driven camshaft was introduced in 1961.

Will Owen