[alfa] Re: Zat Tensioner Vs Hydraulic in non-hydraulic mode Vs...

Let's get this straight. The Goggomobile of 1946 was the first engine
to use a toothed rubber belt for timing. BUT that belt was cotton
reinforced and prone to breakage. Luckily, the engine was of the
"non-interference" type so the only damage done by a broken belt was
that the motor stopped and timing lost. The concept of a reinforced
toothed belt is accredited to a German engineer named Gilmer. I don't
know if he was involved with Goggomobile or not, but after that, about
the only place that Gilmer belts showed-up on cars was driving
superchargers. The supercharger belts were steel reinforced.  The
modern fiberglass belt, as we know it, was invented at Fiat in 1960. It
was first used in a single overhead camshaft Fiat saloon motor of 1500
cc in '61-62. Glas used it in their 1300 coupe engine in 1963, and
Pontiac used it in their Firebird six-cylinder SOHC motor in 1966. Fiat
then used it in the DOHC 124 sport motor derived from it's small saloon
OHV motor in 1967. It's advantages (other than being cheap) is that it
is much quieter than a chain, and while this is a plus in a family
saloon, I think it's a negative for a sports car. After all, part of a
classic 12-cylinder Ferrari's aural charm is that the chain sound makes
up one of the instruments in that engine's glorious mechanical
symphony.

Chains are good for about 70,000 miles before they should be replaced,
and on some cars, the belt life approaches that pretty favorably. In
those cases, using the belt is a good decision. Chain or belt, they
have to be replaced, and certainly the cost of a belt is a lot lower
than a chain. OTOH, it seems as if the higher the performance of the
car, the more often the belt needs replacing. Alfa 12-valve V-6's, for
instance, recommend a belt change interval of only 30,000 miles or
three years whichever comes first. Some Ferraris using belts require
that the belt be changed every 15,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes
first. Needless to say, on the Ferraris, at least, the decision to use
a belt looks like a poor one. While the actual belt costs are
reasonable (<$100 each), the labor to change them on the engines which
used them is not. On the Alfa V-6, it's marginal. While the belt itself
is give-away cheap (the Goodyear part is $22) and the labor to change
it is only about $400, it would be a poor value if one didn't have to
change the damn water pumps at about that interval anyway, in which
case, what you end-up doing is paying for a water pump replacement and
oh, by the way, put a new belt on that puppy while you're there (the
belt has to come off to access the pump).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'