[alfa] Next week's sermon

I said, "Next Sunday's sermon will be entitled "Front Wheel Drive. Why?"

George Graves responded, "Because it makes it easier (read that cheaper) to assemble the car."

To be honest "Next Weeks Sermon" was an idle threat. That subject has been beat "almost" completely to death.

That said...yeah, I would have made a brief comment regarding the cost factor on being able to drop the entire engine / drivetrain into the engine bay in one big ugly lump, but only in an ironic way. For me the tie-in between rubber belts vs chains is that both some (don't ask me to name names) manufacturers are returning to "the chain" along with some manufacturers adding rear wheel drive to their front drivers. Boy, that has to Really save them a bunch of dough.

My take is they don't want to admit that switching over to front wheel drive exclusively might not have been the best idea...in all cases, so this sort of gets them off the hook without embarrassing themselves too terribly much. I am, however, admitting there are times when front wheel drive certainly has its benefits - other than just the cost factor.

I can't think of anything nice to say about rubber timing belts though.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA