[alfa] Re: Zat Tensioner Vs. Hydraulic in non-hydraulic mode

When people say that the Zat tensioner is fixed, they mean FIXED. (It is, of course, manually adjustable.) It doesn't provide constant tension on the belt, it keeps the tensioner pulley in a constant position. This means that as the engine expands, all the pulleys move away from each other and nothing compensates for this. While it seemingly works, the belt is extremely tight on a hot engine, and (at least in one case!) floppy-loose on a cold engine. This is rather unsettling on an engine that was originally equipped with a dynamic tensioner, presumably for a reason.

A non-hydraulic hydraulic tensioner, on the other hand, is "fixed" only in that it applies a roughly constant force on the belt. It's still free to move when the engine expands and contracts, with the tensioning force provided by two springs. Disabling the oil feed only prevents it from reducing the tension based on engine speed.

In lieu of having both tensioners in front of you, here are some pictures. Image A shows the hydraulic tensioner. The approximate path of the belt is shown in yellow. The position of the tensioner pulley can change because the green part, upon which the pulley rotates, can pivot about the red cross. It should be apparent that pressurized oil in the shaded red region will force the piston (blue) up, thus slackening the belt as oil pressure rises (in proportion to engine speed). The belt tension is provided by two springs, one of which is highlighted in light lavender, the other of which is expertly illustrated in a darker lavender. By disabling the oil feed, you no longer have pressurized oil in the red region, but you still have a dynamic, spring-loaded tensioner which can move to accomodate thermal expansion (and contraction) of the engine. Image B shows the portion of the Zat tensioner that you buy from Tom Zat. You have to use the pulley and the green part from your old hydraulic tensioner. Again it pivots about the red cross. The position of the pulley is fixed by the bolt, highlighted blue, which you adjust upon belt installation to get the desired (cold) tension.
A) http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jee/tensioner.gif
B) http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jee/Staybelt.gif

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6

This is mostly a question for Joe, but I figured I'd throw it out there for
all to comment on.  Like Joe, I've reverted back to running the "old"
hydraulic tensioner but in a fixed, non-hydraulic fashion.  I've been
running this way for years now without issue.  When I first made the change,
I was told it basically made the tensioner function like the Zat one.  I
took it at face value and readily admit I didn't give it much thought.  I
had just witnessed a 500-mile race engine destroyed by an equally new
mechanical tensioner failure, and I was very interested in deploying an
alternative solution.

Joe now points out with some conviction that running the hydraulic tensioner
in non-hydraulic mode as we do is a much better solution than the Zat
tensioner.  I'm happy to hear that, but I'm not sure I fully understand why.
Mind you, I've never seen the Zat tensioner.  I imagine with both of them in
front of me, it would be a self explanatory, or a 30 second conversation at
best.  Given that's not a reality, I'd be interested to hear in greater
detail why this is.

Signed,

Curious George :)