[alfa] Re: V6 tensioner

They can start to ooze oil again fairly quickly, but I don't think it has much to do with a damaged shaft. I'd take some measurements and verify that, but I'm at school and my micrometer and box of V6 tensioners are at home.

In my not-so-humble opinion, the solution is to put new o-rings on the oil feed stud and the backing plate, tap threads (4 x .7mm) in the end of the stud, and plug it (you could just as easily fill it with JB Weld or solder, but I like the idea of being able to revert to stock in 2031 so I don't lose any concours points for a modified tensioner). You should probably also drill a hole in the piston, but you could make it threaded 4 x .7mm so when you need to revert to 100% stock, you can take your plug out of the stud and put it in the piston. I didn't bother drilling a hole in my piston, and I don't worry about it, though. What you're left with is a purely spring-based tensioner, which is pretty much ideal. I understand why Alfa did it the way they did it, but it was really overkill, and perhaps more importantly, had some drawbacks. Eliminating the oil feed gives you pretty much constant tension all the time, and it actually responds to thermal expansion directly (which it did all along--the added feature of the oil feed was that it would back off the tension at high RPM when the cams have more momentum--clever, but not worth the leaks, if you ask me). Given the failures we've all heard about with the mechanical tensioner, and the fact that the parts for this purely spring-based tensioner are already all there, I wouldn't think of doing anything else. (I used the Zat tensioner for 26,000 miles before I thought of this, and it worked, but it scared the hell out of me, in principle, and on one cold morning when I felt the belt tension, it felt like it was about to fall off!)

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6