Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:41:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Otto Schug <schugof@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Power Steering Leak Alfa 164

Alfisti,

Yesterday morning, the power steering on my 1991 Alfa 164 quit. I checked the
reservoir and found that it was empty. I filled it. Within one mile, the
reservoir was empty again. I found leaking fluid under the car. I lifted the
front end of the car and looked towards the source of the leak. It appears to
be at the area of the steering rack where the delivery hose and return hose
enter the rack mechanism beneath the steering wheel lower universal joint.
However, with the amount of fluid on various parts thereat, I cannot identify
the exact source of the leak.

Is the leak coming from one of the two hoses, out of the rack or somewhere
else? I am aware that the area can be worked upon by removing the left wheel
and the two inside fender covers. If it is one of the two hoses, are
replacement hoses available? What other advice do you have? Has anyone else
had this experience?

Please advise.

Otto F. Schug