[alfa] Lesson #1 - Pride Goes Before the Fall

A while back (V10#317) I waxed eloquently about brakes and changing the lower
portion of the Alfetta GT's system and proudly proclaimed how well it was
working.

Well, the brakes are still working just fine, however another part of the
hydraulics are acting up. Puking, actually.

Yesterday the Alfetta clutch felt weird as I was driving my son to soccer. It
was engaging really low to the floor (usually it's much higher) and the gears
were grinding (more than usual).

As I started the car after soccer, the gears would not engage. The clutch
pedal action was way too easy, too. Ever started an Alfetta in gear and power
shifted home? The boys had a story to tell Mom at dinner that night - their
dinner discussion subject was "How the Red Car Broke" rather than the expected
"Here's How My First Day of School Was." I should be out of the doghouse in time
to fix the car this weekend.

After limping the car home (less than a mile on back streets), I discovered
the clutch slave cylinder was leaking all over the ground (this explains the
drops of oil I'd seen for a day or two). So, it's now clutch hydraulics time.

I have a new clutch MC and slave cyl and new SS braided hose on order from a
couple of the usual suppliers. This weekend should be fun renewing the clutch
system.

I know the caution of bleeding the slave with the bleeder up, I'll be certain
to do that. My big question is how to remove it. It appears from looking at
the installation that I need to drop the front of the transaxle down and then
pull the slave.

Any BTDT thoughts or suggestions on slave cyl removal from you transaxle
folks? Things to avoid?

TIA

Tom
Seattle