Re: [alfa] Re: Re: 24Valve 164 Production Numbers

On Sep 4, 2004, at 8:57 AM, Brian Shorey wrote:

Just my take on events, but I think the reasoning's sound.

Cuss and Discuss as they say?
I think you're pretty much right on.

Why was BMW so successful in the sport sedan market, and Alfa not? Always
drove me crazy that Alfa invented that space, yet BMW has reaped the profits
(at least in the US).
Seems pretty apparent to me. BMWs quickly attained a reputation for reliability and were cheaper than Alfas. Remember, when the BMW 2002 came out (their first BIG hit) a Giulia Super cost almost $4000 and a 2002 cost $2500. Of course, it's equally clear that those who bought BMW 2002s never drove an Alfa Sedan. The difference in handling between the two is no contest. I always thought that a BMW 2002 drove like a Chevy sedan, while an Alfa Super handled more like a race-car, and indeed, could possibly have been the best handling of all the Giulias (save, perhaps the TZ).

Total number of Alfas spotted on my cross country drive - 0. None. I saw
more Triumphs than I saw Alfas. I saw boatloads of Hummers. I saw more
gigantic shopping carts!

The GTV was completely troublefree, just over 4,000 miles total, it never
missed a beat. It's the best road trip I've had in years..
A good, trouble-free road trip in a great car is one of life's truly rewarding experiences. Makes one feel great just to be alive. I'm glad your GTV is running so well. I hope it stays that way.

George Graves and
"Sophia" My GTV-6