[alfa] '88 Spider Quad - no

 Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:13:53 -0500 From: "Dan Lewis"
 <lewisdk6@domain.elided> Subject: [alfa] '88 Spider Quad - no
 spark, follow-up

 OK, I got it started (tranny sensor wires were inverted and
 also had 3-4 spark plug wires mixed, thank you!) and drove
 it a little and it just quit running.  A couple of points I
 observed were: 1- It seemed to run fairly rough and
 underpowered when driving, but idled alright, but when
 slowing down after driving a short (block or less)
 distance, it tended to die out; i.e. almost quit running
 and take a lot of pedal to get it running at speed again.
 2- The exhaust was really hot, like I could barely put my
 hand on the metal inside the trunk where the pipe goes over
 the rear axle. After getting it pushed back to my garage
 (only about 2 blocks, thankfully) I started looking things
 over and found the in-line 10-Amp fuse behind the passenger
 seat, next to the ECU, was burnt out.  Replaced it (holding
 it with the fuse exposed) and turned the key to position-1,
 no problem.  Turned to position-2, no problem.  Turned to
 "start' position and the fuse momentarily overheated, then
 cooled down, but the engine would not start (still turned
 over).  Hit the start again and the fuse burned out
 immediately. Any ideas?  I'm thinking [I]maybe[/I] the fuel
 pump??  I'd welcome any and all guidance on this one.
 Thanks everyone!

 Dan Lewis Bellevue, NE '88 Alfa Spider Quadrifoglio (red,
 of course)
Just went through this - started by spraying ether into the plenum, ran just fine.
So I sez to m'sef, I sez, " got spark, compression, and timing". So that pretty much leaves fuel, and the ticky tick of the injectors ( and of course, the ECU which asks [ tells! ] the injectors to go ticky tick ).
Figgering the fuel system was the bestest place to start, went ahead and shotgunned it - ( the cars' 22 years old ferheavennssake ) replaced the filter, low pressure ( in tank ), high pressure pumps and all associated hoses.
All is well in Alfa land once again. Don't wanna get stuck in Yosemite with a tow bill higher than the cost of parts to fix it.
After (non)exhaustive testing of replaced parts, was prolly ( in order of (non) perceived functionality:
1) Tank pump ( ran erratically when 12v applied on the bench.
2) Fuel filter ( many anecdotes regarding lifespan and clogability ( was able to blow through it with just my lips[!] with no great effort.
3) Main ( high pressure ) external pump ( seemed to run just fine in bench testing ).

Also took opportunity to wire in a modern blade type fuel pump fuse. With many spares on board.
Interestingly, mine was an 8A fuse originally, but all I can find ( locally ) are 7.5A fuses...
Did 8A fuses p**s off the SAE or something recently...?

Any one know where one might procure the rubber boots that cover the electrical terminals on the external fuel pump? They are a bit see-thru...?

Well enough of this - on to the myriad other Alfa issues to address...
--

jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce