[alfa] 164 Roof Leak Above Windshield

Dear Alfisti,

     Until about a week ago, I did not know that 91 Alfa 64 leaks above the windshield were, to a degree, common.  Obviously, I discussed the problem with another person who traded in her car because of the leak.

     The 91 164 that I am driving started with one leak above the left side of the passenger seat.  The next leak was above the rear view mirror.  So, I put duct tape (grey would be less noticeable) across the entire roof line above the windshield seal.    Since then, I have accumulated several more rust spots.  I was going to sand the rust spots to see if I could put a compound over the spots to eliminate the leaks.  Unfortunately, it just rained rapidly and caused 7 leaks to drip into the cab.

     I presume other 164 Owners have encountered the problem and already have a solution.  First, is there a set of drains forward of the sunroof opening that are plugged causing water to accumulate above the windshield under the roof?  If so, where are these lines located and how do you do the unplugging work?  Second, if the roof line is rusting, how do you repair it without attempting to remove the windshield (I understand the windshield has a tendency to break in the removal attempt.)?  Do you use fiberglass compound, liquid steel compound or some other compound?  Is there no other solution except to remove the windshield and the headliner and then weld a strip back in?

     You have the import of my inquiry.  Your advice and instructions will greatly be appreciated.

Otto F. Schug
(Chip and I have about a dozen Alfas)
Columbus, Indiana
schugof@domain.elided