[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #306

Unsprung weight simply means all the weight on the road side of the
suspension: Wheels Tires, brakes, suspension parts, on some cars the
differential, on other cars not. On an Alfa RWD transaxel car, for
instance (Alfetta, GTV-6, Milano), the inboard rear brakes and the
differential (being in unit with the transmission) are NOT unsprung
weight, but the very light di-Dion triangle,  wheels and tires are.*

The Alfetta diDion rear suspension is one of the best (and most
expensive) rear suspension systems ever. It combines all of the
advantages of IRS  coupled with all of the best features of a solid
rear axle design with few of the drawbacks of either. It's really quite
well executed on these cars as well, better than most others. Ferrari
tried it a number of times and it never worked as well on Ferraris as
it did on Alfas.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'