[alfa] Optima gel batteries

Here in the Seattle area, Costco sells Optima batteries for $ 100.

I used a Red in the Montreal (sold in Jan. 2002) because they are supposed
to hold a charge better between uses and they eliminate the possibility of
leakage. The battery is in the rear in the Montreal so acid leakage is a
pain to clean-up.

I bought a GTV-6 in March of this year and the battery was failing.
Installed an Optima Red here too. I'm driving this car a lot more than I
drove the Montreal, but as the battery is located in the rear and there is
evidence of past acid leaks, I figured a few more dollars to abolish acid
leaks there is a reasonable value.

Marine is deep cycle, all gel type batteries claim they do not leak when
tipped. We have a deep cycle Exide Orbital gel battery for trolling motor. I
bought it at the local auto supply store prior to Costco picking-up Optima.

For our 164LS, when I needed a battery, I went to a local supplier, Allied
Battery. For $ 80 I bought the large 164 style battery (730 CCA MP GR31). So
far the drain hose is keeping the battery tray area free of acid.

Deep cycle batteries are being used in vehicles with "extreme" audio and
video systems. You see multiple battery systems in these applications and
often at least some of the batteries are deep cycle.

Bottom line: For Optima, I suggest Costco. For conventional, I suggest
consulting your local yellow page directory to find a wholesale supplier.

Mike Nakamura
Fall City WA
84 GTV-6, 91 Spider Veloce, 94 164 LS, 02 Dakota