Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:33:21 +0200
From: SHadowX <shadow@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Alfa 164 Clutch Damper

Hi!

I have a few questions about the hydraulic damper in the clutch system
on my 164 QV(12V).
When I bought the car I knew the master cylinder was slowly failing so I
thought the more force needed to press the pedal and the return delay of
a quicly depressed pedal were all because of the faulty cylinder.
On a previously owned 164 3.0 the clutch was soft and quickly responsive
after a master cylinder change. So when I changed the master cylinder on
my QV and the pedal was still soemwhat hard and slow to follow the foot
when being depressed I first thought it wasn't faulty at all, but as I
noticed afterwards, the clutch worked fine( didn't release after soem
time being pressed). I've been looking through Compact98(Fiat group
parts catalogue) and I've seen a part named Damper (60801292) that is
mounted on the hydraulic line between the master and slave clustch
cylinders, the thing I am curious about is, does this damper have the
same funcionality as the dreaded BMW component CDV(Clutch Delay Valve)
that is, it tries to dampen the fast changes in clutch movement for
"smoother shifitng"? And if so, could it be bypassed by a straight tube
that is originaly put into 2.0TS versions?
It really annoys the hell out of me when I try to shift gears very fast,
it just won't return the pedal fast enough.
Thanks for all the information in advance.

Regards,

Ales Golob