[alfa] RE: Spiders' battery

I believe all batteries lose some charge while sitting unused, some worse than others and some may discharge as much with a cut off switch as without it. I like to get an internal battery short test before assuming a problem with the car itself. My 85 spider battery lasts just as well as my 72 and 73 spider front mounted batteries. The superior Bosch system starts after a long rest better than my Alfas with carbs. The rear battery in my GTV6 is fine after I replaced a poor condition battery that went flat every few days with a good deep cycle one. It can now sit for a month or more and start fine with no other changes. The biggest battery problem with the Bosch spiders IMHO is the poor location in the trunk, with the extra length of the high amp wires to reach it and the battery seems more prone to leaking there. At least the body damage below my 85's battery is severe in a otherwise rust free car. The lack of structure below the battery from leaks before I got the car let it move around to the point the hold down has dimpled my fender as well. I wouldn't personally ever relocate older spider batteries to the trunk and wouldn't mind trying to move the 85's forward if it doesn't sell as it is. A fairly decent spider or the GTV6 with good clutch in OR for only $2000 each by the way. Take both for a special discount!