Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:29:08 -0400
From: "David Jarman" <jarmanhome@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] dead short condition

My wife's '94 Spider CE has developed a short to ground that has drained
down the battery very quickly. This is an Optima battery that always seemed
very strong, but it's down to fractional voltage and will no longer take a
charge. Not good!

Anyway, according to my VOM, I have continuity from the positive (hot)
battery cable through to ground. I checked every circuit at the fuse box,
they all read hot side to ground. No fuses are blown anywhere, not even at
the relays under the rear shelf. I see no evidence of wire overheating nor
burned insulation on any red wires. But there is just an overall short to
ground throughout the entire car. My thinking is that the alternator diodes
are fried, or perhaps the starter solenoid is shorted. Tomorrow, I'm going
to have to get back on it.

I'd appreciate any and all input on this one!  Thank you.