[alfa] Re:Milano/75 Shifter

Kind of funny you mentioned that. I have a GTV-6 with a Milano linkage
(modified for less play) in it. Somebody cut the standard shifter on my
GTV-6 before I got it, and I always thought it to be real awkward to
reach for 5th because it required me to rotate my right shoulder away
from the seat back to reach for it. I ended-up making mine MUCH longer.
I cut the Milano lever off right at the pivot ball, and grafted a
chrome lever from a mid-seventies Spider onto it and capped it off with
a large polished aluminum Momo ball shifter. Now the shifter knob is
mere inches from the steering wheel (ala Ferrari Testa Rossa/SWB/GTO
practice) just about three inches lower than the cross-spoke of the
steering wheel. It's now EXACTLY where it needs to be for quick shifts
when driving hard in the twisty bits as I don't have to reach for it at
all, or keep my hands off the wheel for very long. I do not find the
throws to be excessively long and everybody who's driven my car has
agreed that this is how Alfa should have done it in the first place and
it feels just right. I agree.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'