[alfa] Low AC pressure --> frozen evaporators, and related...

Joe Elliot wrote:

     Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:54:28 -0400
     From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
     Subject: Re: [alfa] Low pressure AC hose insulation

     ....But this raises another question that I'd never really
     thought about
     before: if the evaporator ices up (not uncommon in GTV-6's
     given
     their wimpy blower motor), will that prevent enough energy
     from
     entering the refrigerant that it might leave the evaporator as
     liquid?

     - -Joe

An evaporator freezing up is a sign of low refrigerant level.  Lower the
pressure at which you are evaporating a refrigerant, and you will lower
the temperature of the evaporating bath.  Raise the pressure to keep the
evaporator from freezing up.  My home AC unit did this just after
installation, and it was because it was installed with too low a
charge.  It might not be the GTV-6's wimpy fan, but a problem with AC
hoses.  Sorry for the minimal Alfa content.

To compensate a bit, my '86 Spider AC really sags the voltmeter when the
AC electric clutch actuates.  The fan draws some juice, and the
heater/defroster fan really sags the voltmeter.  I have thought it must
be resistive ignition switch connections, tracked down two (2) really
memorably botched splices, but still have voltage sag when switched
power devices are used.  Any hints about tracing the problems?  Common
faults known and loved by all?  Has anyone put together a general
troubleshooting guide for such things?  Or maybe a general description
of a typical clue, so when I see one I'll recognize it?

Michael....