From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Mark
Manley
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 7:22 PM
To: Alfa Digest
Subject: [alfa] 6 Cyl Center Donut

My '84 GTV6 has been acting strange. Wobbling shifter, grinding noise on
touching
shifter in first. I replaced the front transaxle mounts but no improvment.
Pulled the
exhaust and found half the rubber connection in the rear engine mount was
bad.
Pulled the driveshaft since I decided to get the bellhousing out to change
the engine
mount and I found the center donut I replaced barely 1000 mi ago was trash.
It was
so bad the bolts were hitting the driveshaft yoke and both yoke and bolts
were getting
 eaten up. What surprised me most was that the donut seemed to not be solid
rubber,
but have layers of fabric or canvas inbetween rubber layers. Is this the
right center
donut for the GTV6, or did the deteriorating rear engine mount cause the
center donut
to die a very early death?
TIA!

                                    Mark Manley