Re: [alfa] Canister oil filter questions

In a message dated 8/15/2004 4:57:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
jmyer@domain.elided writes:

I did  not recall seeing a spring in the bottom of the canister, although
it  makes sense that there would be one there.

There must be at least a half-dozen different manufacturers of that style  of
oil filter canister and they all have springs, but in the upper part of the
assembly, not down in the metal canister, so don't think that you've lost
something. Depending on the type of canister you have, you may see a round disc
at the bottom of the can. This is backed up by a spacer of some sort in most
designs. The disc seals the bottom of the filter. The spring is behind  the
disc that meets the filter at the top, or housing, end of the assembly.  If you
press up on that disc, you will feel the resistance. When the filter  is in
place and you tighten the through-bolt, that captive spring applies  pressure to
the filter and seals the assembly.

Both the old filter and the new filter are "correct." They are just  from
different manufacturers. I assume you know about the seal that goes  into the
groove in the filter housing. It can be a pain to  extract.

Hope this helps,
Bob Abhalter
Paducah KY
'69 Spider Veloce (same oil filter)