[alfa] Clear coating

John Hertzman both quotes me and sez: "On a parallel question about paint Biba writes "I do Not clear coat solid colors. I use only single-stage, high solids urethane. If I received a metallic car, then I would of course clear coat." In both cases I would question "why?". On my various bought-new Alfas the solid color Giulia Super, metallic 1750 GT Veloce and metallic 2000 Berlina were all equally bereft of clear-coat, while my solid-color 1987 Milano and metallic 1991 164 were both clear-coated. There are probably exceptions, but I assume that the clear-coat/non-clearcoat distinction generally followed chronology rather than paint type. But it is Biba's business, and the client's car; if the client is hiring and paying Biba for his scholarship and taste, more power to both of them."

*********

I want to clarify that I've been in California with their ever changing and required paint specifications for many moons and that I certainly don't consider myself a scholar on any subject, let alone clear coating.

When I had my 1950 2.5 Litre Riley Saloon repainted in black and metallic silver with lacquer in 1961 (or 2) the silver was definitely not clear coated. Not sure if clear coat was even around then.

Fast forward to 2004. As oft mentioned I've painted multitudes of wheels silver using two stage paint which comprises a base coat and a clear coat. The base coat is pretty dead and is the only paint I use which dries faster than high build primer which bugs can walk on right behind the spray gun and not get their little feet stuck. How can I put this politely - the available metallic paint in CA (most likely everywhere) today, looks like shit until clear coated.

Variations: I also have a dull clear coat in my arsenal along with the usual gloss. I used it on the '60 Giulietta Spider I restored since it just seemed right. Had several compliments on the finish. Will most likely use the dull on my '69 Spider's wheels. Takes at least four (or more) coats to completely seal the base coat.

While I'm still not completely comfortable with two stage paint, seven (or eight) years ago I needed to paint the wheels on the '69 Spider which is in Chris Rees' book regarding Alfa Spiders. I told paint store I wanted metallic silver but didn't want to clear coat. They said they could do that but the silver would be darker than if I used two stage paint. I didn't understand it then, and still don't now (clear is clear). Chris made several notations in the book I used the wrong diameter plastic insert hubcaps but made no mention regarding the too dark metallic silver wheels.

I'm not allowed in new car showrooms since it is obvious at a glance I don't posses the necessary funds nor credit for them to bother. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge all current auto manufacturers clear coat any and every paint they apply to their car's exteriors - be they solid, metallic, or (?).

I personally feel the currently available single stage paints (even in CA and especially with urethanes) are far superior to the older enamels as far as fading is concerned and lacquers as far as brittleness is concerned.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA