[alfa] FIAT selling Ferrari/Maser and Alfa?

In a message dated 8/10/2004 12:18:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

the old  cliche is "it takes money to make money". the only way
left to fiat to  raise money right now, i should think, is by selling
assets. the only  assets that they have that anyone would really
want are Ferrari/Maserati  and Alfa.
So far, makes sense to me, whether or not true.

either they sell to another automaker, or they spin them off as  a
new public company. either one would raise a fair chunk of change
that  Fiat could then apply towards fixing the things currently
wrong with the  Fiat and Lancia brands.

To you and me the $ FIAT could get for those businesses might sound like a
lot, but I believe in the auto biz it would amount to chump change.  If  those
assets were valuable enough to pay for an attempt at improving the lot of  the
larger group, I think there are other ways FIAT, if anyone, would be able to
go about it.  My opinion only.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA