[alfa] Oxygen Sensor Question

Hi Everybody!

About six months ago I installed a new oxygen sensor in my GTV/6 ('84 w 3.0
Milano engine and modified 2.5 ecu).  Being broke, I bought a cheap aftermarket
3-wire sensor from someone like oxygensensors.com.  I was actually surprised
at how well the harness fit, and it was only something like thirty bucks.
Recently my car has been idling badly.  It starts fine, seems to run properly
while the cold start circuit is engaged, and then goes to hell.  The revs keep
dropping to about 600 rpm, surging back to 1000, dropping, etc. every couple of
seconds.  I went through all the regular ground and vacuum checks to no avail.
 Then I disconnected the O2 sensor and the idle is perfect.  Plug it in again
and it falls apart.  Is this simply a bad sensor?  I always thought that when
the sensors went bad they just stopped working, and it was basically the same
as unplugging it.

If anyone can explain what is happening here I would be very appreciative!

Thanks!

-Tarik
'84 GTV/6 3.0 "Christina"