RE: [alfa] Total Loss?

You can choose to accept the settlement from the insurance company and then
buy the car back from (which is really just a paper transaction) for
'salvage' value. This usually a (small?) percentage of the settlement value.

The car is then yours to repair, or part out as you see fit.

Also, don't be so quick to accept the settlement that the insurance company
offers if it seems like it is too low. Book value on Alfas tends to be
pretty low and this is what the insurance company will base the value on. If
the car is 'better than normal' it might be possible to negotiate with them
to get a greater dollar amount out of them.

Be forewarned that this can be a long arduous process. Be prepared to show
lots of documentation such as repair records, adverts for similar cars in
the same condition, etc. Also, a letter or two from an attorney who is
knowledgeable in insurance claims can help too.

Of course, if your car is a clunker, or just an old Alfa in average
condition none of this really applies.

HTH,

Jeff - BTDTGTTS with regard to a totaled Alfa and fighting with the
insurance companies involved