RE: [alfa] Total Loss?

Those of us who have restored or are restoring cars know that there is no
such thing as a total loss.  If you have the desire, a car can be 'restored'
from nothing more than a VIN plate and a box of rust flakes.  Not that I'd
recommend it....

An insurance write off means that it will cost the insurance company more to
fix than it will to pay out on the value of the car.  I know people who have
had their cars written off by insurance companies, taken the cash payout,
bought their car back for a nominal sum, repaired it, and walked away with
money still in their pockets.

A wiring loom fire will cost a lot for the insurance company to fix because
it will involve removing the dash and some of the interior to replace, which
is time-consuming work, so expensive at 'insurance repair' rates.  Add to
that the cost of repairing the hood, and they will write it off pretty
quickly.

Personally, I would accept the write off so long as I could buy my car back,
then fix it.  Probably remove the dash myself, has an auto-electrician repair
the loom or fit a new one, have a body-shop repair the hood, do any other
replacement work myself.

Then again, maybe you could pick up another spider in the same condition for
the insurance payout?  Then sell your car to another enthusiast as a
restoration project, or for parts.

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ