[alfa] Re: Jon's distributor woes

Jon wrote:
>seem to have a lot of "jitter" in my timing mark movements..  don't know
>if this is actual fluttering of the timing advance,  or my old timing
>light stuttering.  Guess it shouldn't jitter no matter what.
>Anyway,  anyone know what would affect the minimum of the curve?
and Jay responded:
>I doubt the jitter is being caused by your old timing light..  There is
>probably just one cause for both of your symptoms (jitter in the
>timing and failure to advance over a sufficient range between idle
>and high rpm).  Could it be that the advance weights are somehow
>hanging up and/or flopping around?

The timing light jitter could also be caused by the bushings that the
distributor shaft rides in being worn.   Grab the end of the shaft and see if
you can rock it from side to side.  If you can, you may notice your advance
weights moving a bit when you do.  This could change your timing (as well as
your point gap).

Bill Sinclair