[alfa] Re: Rotisseries

Ed Phrytherch said:

"Many years ago when I lived in England a couple of friends had a little business repairing minis...They simply pushed the car over until it was almost horizontal and rested on a couple of straw bales. I know that this is not as elegant as a rotisserie but it is a lot less expensive and takes up less space when not in use."

Something we need to note here is that the original Mini was a package measuring about 4'x4'x10', and minus the powertrain and interior furnishings would have weighed around 600 lbs. Even with all its equipment, an inverted Mini was a doddle for a couple of reasonably hale bods to put back upright, as we all found out when mine went onto its roof at a go-kart track autocross (and that happened rather easily, too, or so it seemed at the time). Aside from the ease of getting a Mini onto and off of its roof, there is also the fact that its light weight and stout build allow it to do these things without any lasting damage, if one is careful. I am not at all sure that an Alfa 105 coupe would survive being similarly pushed over without a serious wrinkle or two, and probably some problems with the windows.

Will Owen