Re: Subject: [alfa] torsion bar mathematics?

i should have been clearer in my original posting.

the relationship between a coil spring and a torsion bar is not
a particular mystery.

what is an issue is the math describing the behavior of a spring
where it is inserted into a complex of control arms, and the
effective spring rate is different depending on where it appears
in the system. in an alfetta, a torsion bar which is coaxial with
the inner pivot of the lower control arm is in a very different
place from, say, a coilover attached to the lower control arm
that passes through a hole in the upper control arm and then
attaches to the body.

this is the math i'm after.

somewhere buried in my inbox i have something Douglas
Milliken sent me on the subject back when my interest was
more theoretical and less practical. it may take me a while
to dig that up, i think it may have been back when i was
running w2k on this laptop, so digging that out of my old
eudora inbox may be a bit of a challenge. this is assuming
that i can find that inbox and that i'm guessing right about
which one it's in.

richard