>Subject: [alfa] torsion bar blues, help please? (long)

Gilles, off the top of my head, so check the manual, but here's my .02:

Step 1: Level the floor.

Step 2: Check the tire pressures

Step 3: Ballast the car.

Step 4: Remove shocks.

Step 5: Disconnect the sway bar.

Step 6: Roll car back and forth (if car has been in air) to settle scrub,
or just bounce up and down to verify settling of suspension.

Step 7: Measure ride height left and right and record

Step 8: Divide desired change in ride height by notches per inch (I've
forgotten the number, but you can look it up.)

Step 9: Mark _both_ ends of sway bar such that you can count splines

Step 10: Rotate bars such that desired numbers of splines have been rotated
at each end.
PLEASE NOTE: Where 99% of people go wrong is in failing to comprehend that
this is a _vernier_ adjustment.

Step 11:Roll/scrub/bounce as req., verify ride height adjustment has
acheived desired goal by remeasuring ride height left and right. Record
ride height.

Step 12: Verify wheel and tire clearance.

Step 13: Reconnect sway bar.

Step 14: Roll/scrub/bounce as req.,, re-check ride height (check for bent
sway bar.)

Step 15: Reconnect shocks.

Step 16: Roll/scrub/bounce as req., re-check ride height (check for
imbalanced high-pressure shocks, whatever.)

Step 17: Check camber, adjust if necessary.

Step 18: Test drive.

Some of the above is optional / superfluous, especially the shock stuff,
but if you have the time, it couldn't hurt.... Hope that helps.

RON