Re: [alfa] Pilgrimage to NH...

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:02:03 -0400 "J.R. Lehman" <jlehman@domain.elided> wrote:
> We depart for NH Friday morning from Watkins Glen, taking back roads
> past Albany into Vermont.  I want to thank Richard and Jay for their
> helpful route and lunch/rest-stop suggestions.  Hope to see you en
> route; we'll be traveling in a black Spider Veloce.

for a mildly higher degree of adventure in rensselaer county (where
i've lived since 1976),

leaving troy on NY 7, after passing Duncan's Dairy Bar, start
looking for NY 142 (entering from the left at a traffic light). you
won't take this road; it's a trigger for when you should start
looking for 278 on the right (which you will take.)

about 1 mile past NY 142, at a traffic light, right onto NY 278.
follow this for ca. 2 miles, and as you come downhill, you'll
see a traffic light and NY 2 ahead. DO NOT take NY 2.
just before you come to the traffic light, you'll see a Stewart's
shop on the right (BTW, Stewarts has the best coffee of any
of the convenience chains in NY), and a road on the left
just on the other side of the Stewarts. my map says this
is Tamrac road, but i don't remember whether there's a
sign or not. anyway, turn left onto Tamrac Road (County
Route 129) just after the stewarts, just before the light.

Warning: obey the low speed limit right after you've turned
onto Tamrac. i've seen NY's finest law enforcement officials
on this section, watching for speeders.

you will be on Tamrac road for quite a while. when it
finally reaches a much bigger highway, you'll have rejoined
NY 7. turn right to rejoin NY 7 towards Bennington, VT.

Upside: this route is quicker, much less traffic.

Downside: NY 7 has a somewhat scenic crossing of the
Tomhannock resevoir, which will you will not not get to
see on Tamrac/CR 129.

richard