[alfa] tool recommendations (NAC)

I think I may be on the verge of talking my parents into making some major tool purchases (funny how that happens the last summer I plan on living with them, eh?), and the Alfa Digest is my only connection to a largish group of largely-credible, real-world adults, so I thought I'd ask for some advice. (That, and I'll be using these tools to work on Alfas--in addition to my GTV-6, my brother now has a Milano, and my parents just got a 164LS.) I'm potentially interested in the following:
Micrometer
Dial or vernier caliper (cheap enough that I won't be upset if it gets dropped)
Welder (I think I want wire-feed, but that's not really certain)
Air compressor (smallish, but usable for pneumatic tools)
Metric drill bits
Metric tap & die set
Angle grinder (better than the $10 Chinese ones I used to get at work)
Valve spring compressor (Alfa-compatible)
[And I'm probably forgetting something, so hopefully the Alfa Digest will still be here when I remember what else I wanted to ask about.]

I'd like the micrometer and the drill bits to be half-decent. Otherwise affordability is probably the biggest priority, although if I'm spending my parents' money it doesn't have to be the kind of borderline-dangerous bargain-basement Chinese crap that I'm used to. Off-digest replies would probably be appropriate.

Thanks,
Joe Elliott