[alfa] Auto A/C question

Since my Milano is going back to college with my son (the Milano is just such
a refined design that it had to have gotten higher education somewhere
before!), my Spider will once again be my daily driver, so I need to fix the
A/C.  It had been converted to R134a (DIY) and worked OK until the hoses
to/from the condenser chafed through by rubbing on the rather crudely
fashioned support for the bumper shocks on the Series 3 Spider (other Spider
owners take note -- also check where the A/C hoses come through the radiator
support -- they rub on the lower radiator hose as well!).  I'm pretty sure I
can locate replacement hoses, so that leaves just the receiver/dryer to
locate.  I figure I'll just take the old one to a auto A/C shop and have them
match it up?  Of course,if someone has a P/N or replacement P/N, that'd be
wonderful!  Some questions:

1.  It doesn't appear that the Spider A/C systems had any pressure switches?
The wiring diagram doesn't i.d. one.  Am I missing it?

2.  Although it's been converted to R134a, query whether some other
refrigerant would make more sense. I read Joe Elliot's presentation (thanx
Joe!) but the alphabet soup confuses me.  Since the system is now open
anyway, I can use whatever I can fit in it (assuming that I can get the old
R134a service fittings off -- BTW, the only low side port I found was on the
compressor itself and you need to use a right angle fitting to be able to get
the recharge hose to clear the distributor on a Bosch EFI Spider).  ES12a is
touted but is that the same as Duracool or Freeze 12?

The A/C is the last mechanical thing to do to my car -- after that it's a new
interior and paint, so it'd be really nice to nail this one!  Any help
greatly appreciated!

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider (a "hot ride" in more ways than one!)
'87 Milano (underappreciated cool college kid ride-to-be!)