[alfa] Caribou tops

Stan made one of the most intelligent posts I have read here about a retailer
of a product vs. the manufacturer of a product. And in this case, no I do not
"sew up" my tops, I contract with another companyy to do so and thay have
done so for me for about the past 14 years. And in these 14 years they have done
a great job, but not each and every thing is made perfectly (even Mercedes
makes a "lemon" every now and then... doesn't mean every car they make is
terrible).

Stan wrote: <<Usually the MFG requires the return of the product for
inspection before any restitution is made>>

Absolutely true, if you call around to other vendors or top manufacturers you
will find out that this is the standard way it is done. And every other
vendor/manufacturer that I know of WILL NOT even take back a top for exchange or
credit after it has started to be installed on a car! Figure that one out! I am
offering to take it back YEARS after it has been in service!

Just like going to Sears when the DVD player you bought conks out... you need
to bring the bad one in to the store first and then they give you and
exchange unit. They won't give you a "freebie" first on the promise that you will
then bring the "bad" one back later.

So if a top is bad, I do not absolve myself for resposnsibilty of it, but I
try to (as in Dean's case) work with the customer in any way I can. Depending
upon the time period (and certainly in Dean's case) I will wind up "eating" the
returned top, after all I can't go back the MFG and claim a warranty item
when it's been on the customer's car for over two years and the warranty is just
one.

Now one other thing you may not be aware of and Tim made an excellent post on
that...

Regarding the folks who continually make "negative posts"... I know you don't
want to believe it, but it looks like 99.997% of my customers are quite
happy. Since I started this business I have served over 37,500 individual customers
and if seven aren't happy... well you do the math. If "all" my tops were bad
(like some folks try to make out) there would be way, way more folks
complaining than there actaully are.

Also since I started doing Alfa tops about 13 years ago, I have sold over
3000 tops. I believe that is more Alfa tops over the past decade than any other
vendor, maybe serveral vendors together. When I have sold over 3000 and the
next highest guy has sold maybe 500, isn't logical I am going to have six times
as many problems?

Plus.. over the past decade I have sold Caribou tops to other "name" Alfa
vendors for resale to you all (some who even "sponsor" this Digest), service
shops, upholstery and top shops and even Alfa dealers (who have represented them
as "actual Alfa tops"). So the fact of the matter is hundreds of you have
Caribou tops on your Alfas and don't even know it!!!

But do another math exercise here, I guess that there may be about 40,000
Spiders in North America (someone correct me if I am wrong here), so if I've sold
over 3000 tops then one out of every 13 (almost 14) Spiders has one of my
tops on it!

Ed at Caribou

Fiat parts at: www.caribou.cc
Alfa parts at: www.AlfaSpider.cc