[alfa] Further to old struts saga

Hi All,

A few days back I posted the story of the front struts for my 1998 Fiat Uno Turbo which
had date codes of 1970.  Y'day I took the new struts into my friendly auto mechanics
workshop so he could swap the springs over onto the new ones.

The new struts are painted gloss black with the Fiat/Lancia part number and makers logo
silk screened in white.  During the wrestling with the spring compressor we noticed under
the black paint the date code - also 1970.  The original struts were painted in a sort of
orange/brown paint.  Further close inspection showed that the same numbers stamped into
the original struts were evident on the new ones, the black paint almost filled in the
marks but it was possible to see them if you held the strut with the light catching it at
the right angle.

So now I beginning to wonder, is the "1970" the date or some other meaning?  I can't
believe that Fiat/Lancia still has stock of struts 34 years old.

John
Durban
South Africa