[alfa] 164 alternator and battery questions

For quite a while we have had a problem with the alternator
in the 164 dropping off line at idle.  This usually happens
when the AC is running.  It will typically cycle on and
off.  By watching the volt meter you can see the voltage
go from 14 volts to a bit below 12 volts.  I assume that
it is dropping below 12 volts because the HVAC computer
drops off line and then restarts.  I haven't checked
battery voltages during this time but will this weekend.
The odd thing is that it never happens at anything above
idle no matter how much electrical load I add.
Does this sound like an alternator problem or a battery problem?
The battery has been in there for quite a while and is probably
due for a change.

Along those lines has anyone installed an optima battery in a  164?
did it fit the brackets ok or did you have to modify?  Are you happy
with it's performance on the 164 electrical hog?

Thanks for any help,

Dave McCrory
Maryville, TN
93' 164