[alfa] V6 headers/emissions

Kevin asked yesterday if anyone had similar experience re emissions and
headers.
Here's my $5.00 worth (two cents plus inflation).

I've installed a couple dozen headers in Alfas, V6 and fours, but I've not had
the emission problem. I do not know how Georgias emission tests compare to
other states, but I'm quite sure all states have to conform to a Federal
Standard.

Behind the headers I use JCWhitney cats, with flanges on both ends that
connect to the stock center muffler. Flanges help in temporarily installing
testpipes.
O2 sensor installed in the left side, same location as before. Most of the
time the emissions are well within limits, sometimes the AFM wants a minor
tweak.

We have at times forgotten to install the cats and passed the test anyway,
with the test pipes in place.
Obviously this is not legal, but my point is that on a healthy engine, the
L-jet system can be tuned to
run very cleanly, headers or not.

E-mail me off-list, or not, with your test readings and I will take a
scientific, wild-ass guess * as to what your problem is.
HTH,
Hans

* aka the SWAG method.