[alfa] Re: Stiff accelerator on 146

Anna

This may be entirely unconnected, but there is an issue with engine mounts
degrading with age on the 146 and allowing excessive rocking/sagging of the
engine. This might or might not affect the accelerator, but there are rare
instances of the engine hitting the brake master cylinder...and destroying it
leaving you with no brakes. I have no personal experience of this but it was
flagged in the UK Owners club magazine.

 In general terms lubricating modern cables is not entirely a dead loss. Use
graphite powder, but where cables are nylon lined(as I suspect this one is),
and the nylon has worn, then replacement is the only real cure..assuming it is
the cable. If the stiffness comes and goes it suggests an external influence.
You might also lubricate the throttle quadrant where the cable attaches at the
engine end. I find this has helped on my 164TS.

Not sure if any of this will isolate the problem, but worth checking I'd have
thought.

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164Super 24Valve