[alfa] Formula for calculating correct tire size

Read Jeff Greenfield's post first. Yeah, I thought S and SR sure looked like speed ratings. I also figured the original sidewall height of the '69 Spider's sidewall was probably 70. If that is the case, how come the calculator gives 23.09" diameter for a 165/70-14 (presumably new) tire and the well used 165/SR-14 tire I have measures 24"? Or are these measurements purely arbitrary and one manufacturer says, "Hey, let's make our 165/?-14 tire 1" taller than our main competitors?" What owner ever knew if he had a 70, 78, 80 (or?) series tire in the "good old days"?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA