[alfa] Re: shipping a 93 Veloce

I recently shipped my Mercedes from Chicago to Massachusetts. It cost $585 on
an open carrier. It took a week and went smoothly. I got talking to the
company owner when I picked up the car and found out that the haulers are mostly
independent drivers. The guys who advertise in the yellow pages are brokers. The
drivers charge them a fixed per-mile fee and they charge the customer
whatever they can get to stay in business. The care that is taken with a vehicle
depends upon the individual driver. Good brokers deal with reputable drivers. I
suggest that you call a high-end used car dealer and find out who they use. I
used Auto Driveaway in Waltham MA, which offers national service and cost a
hundred dollars less than the next bidder. They also washed my car just before I
picked it up. Their number is 781-642-7378.