From: Ritchie, Jason <jritchie@domain.elided>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:47:15 -0600
Subject: Re: Rattling brake pads
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Cc: denovich@domain.elided

Mark, did you replace
the brake hose when you replaced the caliper?  If not, it could be your
brake hose has failed internally and is not actuating the caliper.  I got
burned this way once when I bought a rebuilt caliper for one that I thought was
seized only to find out that it was the hose that looked fine on the
outside but
failed on the inside.

>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:55:46
-0400

Mark Denovich <denovich@domain.elided>

>Subject: [alfa] Rattling brake
pads

>Put
new pads (Carbotech Hawks) and rotors all the way around on my
'86

>Spider. I also replaced the driver's rear
brake caliper as the

>piston was hopelessly stuck in the bore. I
was low on patience and

>shelled out the $100 for a refurb
unit.

>Everything works great. The new pads kick
ass. The only problem is

>that
in the newly replaced caliper the pads flop around a bit and
make

>noise. It seems like the pistons retract far
enough to allow them to

>move
around and make noise. This noise goes away with the lightest

>touch
on the brake pedal. I confirmed that the pads have a ton of

>clearance at rest, and that nothing else is
loose. Pad spring is

>properly installed.

>Should I just live with it? I only hear the
noise when I'm driving

>next
to a Jersey barrier where it is reflected back at me.

>-
--Mark